SAP S4 HANA interview questions and answers
What is meaning of S4 HANA?
Ans. In SAP S4 HANA there is a meaning of S4 HANA. Here you go:
- S – Simplified or Suite Data modelof SAP
- 4 – Fourth generation ERP technology
- HANA – It is built on in-memory data base platform
HANA stands for High performance ANalytical Appliance. It is a database which stores data in its memory instead of main disk.
What are key features of S4 HANA?
Ans. SAP S4 HANA key features are as follows:
- In-memory data base platform: S4 HANA is an in-memory data base platform.
- Better user interface (UI) – SAP Fiori
- Choice in Deployment – On premise, Private Cloud, Public Cloud and Hybrid
- Simplified Data model – merger of Tables into one single table
What do you means by in-memory data base platform?
Ans. In-memory data base means that the capability to store huge data on RAM. Availability of large amount of data in RAM means fast speed because RAM is close to CPU (brain of a computer). This helps in faster data processing while executing enterprise transactions. Please note that data processing is thousands times faster on RAM than on a hard disk.
What are the benefits of HANA database?
Ans. Here are the benefits:
- In-memory => HANA database is in-memory which ensures a faster speed because large part of data is stored on RAM. Size of RAM is in terabytes
- Parallel Processing => There is lot of parallel processing of data using multiple cores.
- Fast processing in Columnar Data Storage => Data in the HANA database should be well structured for a faster transaction posting. Therefore, Data is compressed by several times and maintained as column storage. A columnar storage ensures a well regulated compression. Data processing is fast in it because no indexing is required.
- Reduction in Data footprint => No indexing is required in database because data is stored in columnar storage. This eleminates many tables in database. Only useful and necessary data is available on in-memory (RAM). Remaining goes to disk. Lot of hybrid and aggregate tables are convered into one single table in HANA. This simplification results into reduction in data footprint.
- Application services on HANA database => The business application program is also handled on the HANA database. So no separate application server is required. In SAP ECC there was a separate application layer where we were writing the program but here we can handle the application (or program) on database. Please remember that Application, program, services and business logic, all are same.
- Different type of data handling => HANA database can handle different type of data such as spatial, graphical, text etc. Spatial data is the data related to maps which includes longitude and latitude.